Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Recipe Review: Butternut Squash Alfredo

After making butternut squash chili a couple nights ago I had half the squash left over and luckily for me I stumbled on this amazing food blog Petite Kitchenesse! She has so many great recipes (which I have bookmarked for later use) and I found one that could use the rest of my butternut squash. The Butternut Squash Alfredo looked absolutely perfect, creamy and rich with a mixture of veggies and cheese! Everything I look for in a good pasta dish. So enticed I started making my Alfredo! It was so simple and an amazing complement to a  light pasta dish. The flavors were great with the rich squash balanced out by the salty parmesan cheese.

My Alfredo with parmesan, peas and broccoli


Personally I would add slightly more milk into mine in future recipes because I love my sauces very creamy and I felt that this one could use some more creaminess!

Overall this was a great simple and healthier recipe to whip together for a quick dinner! I definitely recommend this to everyone!




Butternut Squash Alfredo:
1 medium-sized butternut squash (I only used my leftover half & it made about 4 cups of sauce)
2 ½ cups of half & half
1 cup of fresh parmesan cheese
2 tsp. salt
Package of pasta of your choice, broccoli, peas and any other veggies
1. Preheat oven to 450° 
2. Cut squash in half/ scrape out insides
3. Place squash cut side down in pan, cover with tin foil & bake for 45 minutes
4. Remove squash from oven & let cool (I got all the other ingredients together in the blender while waiting)
5. Start cooking pasta and veggies while squash cools
5. When cool, scrape out squash meat and add to blender with other ingredients
6. Blend sauce until smooth then add to pasta!
7. This made much more than I could finish in one serving so I would suggest keeping all elements of the dish in separate containers until ready to mix and eat! Keeps them tasting better in my opinion :)

Happy Cooking! 
XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment